THE COASTAL PACKET: Correction: Janet Mills and the NRA

Sunday, May 27

Correction: Janet Mills and the NRA

Janet Mills has offered a correction to a claim that we reported a few days ago that she has a lifetime A+ raiting from the NRA. From her statement:

One of my opponents even sent out an e-mail claiming I have a 'lifetime A+ rating' from the NRA.
Here's the truth: I got a positive rating from the NRA in 2007, more than a decade ago. At the time, I represented a rural Maine community -- my hometown of Farmington -- with a strong hunting tradition, and voted on the issues that mattered to my constituents. Eleven years later, the NRA isn't supporting me in any way, and I wouldn't take their support if offered.

In fact, I've spent my entire career fighting for sensible gun safety laws. Long before the 'red flag' bill this year, I was fighting to end the scourge of domestic violence homicides -- still the most common form of gun violence in our state -- including co-founding the Maine Women's Lobby and passing a bill to ensure survivors of domestic violence were notified if an individual with a restraining order against them tried to obtain a firearm. Most importantly, I supported and voted for a law to allow judges to remove guns from domestic abusers -- a critical law that has saved hundreds of lives.

No comments: